Thursday, March 09, 2006

Driving, another right?

Since 2003 when Alberta introduced their new more secure driver's licence, a picture has been a manditory requirement to getting a new licence or having an old one renewed.

Now a court case is being fought by a Hutterite colony from southern Alberta (Source story) against the use of photographs on the basis that the picture requirement violates their of freedom of religeon.

Call me confused but I don't get it. I am sure that driving is not specified as a right in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and although my knowledge of 'Holy' books is not that great, I don't believe that any of them mention driving an automobile in their collective pages either. If you want the privilege to drive you have to follow the rules and requirements as set out by law, if you do not want to do this, you don't drive. I would like to think the judge will also agree with this when the decision is handed down in a few months, but I do get nervous anytime one of these types of cases gets before the courts and new 'rights' are created.


On the subject of rights; check out Jarrett Plonka's thoughts on International Womens Day and some rights you may not have heard of. Note what the Governor General had to say in her speech.

No comments: